By referring to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as "purely programmatic" (line 49) in nature, the author mo...

SeonAh-Lee on October 1, 2019

Quantifier Statement Negation (most)

In the example, you said that the opposite of Most people care. Is 50% or less of people care. or we can also say it as Most people don't care. I don't really grasp the idea how Most people don't care. can be the opposite. I need further explanation :(

Create a free account to read and take part in forum discussions.

Already have an account? log in

SamA on October 2, 2019

Hello @SeonAh-Lee,

"Most" can be described as anything more than 50%. If 51% of people care, then most people care.

If exactly 50% of people care, then we cannot say that most people care. It has to be more than half.

If only 49% of people care, then what can we say about the rest of the population? We can say that 51% do not care, which qualifies as "most people do not care."

Does that answer your question?

kens on March 17, 2020

I don't understand why the negated version of "most people case could" be "most people don't care." Why isn't it just less than 50% of the people?